Meaning of sleep apnea?
In Greek, “Apnea” means “without breath”. Sleep apnea is a very common and dangerous sleeping disorder in which an individual get a very disturbed sleep at night with frequent breathing stops. Breathing pauses range from 10 seconds to few minutes every time. The condition of OSA puts a person to several health risks. CPAP therapy is an effective remedy for treating this condition. It uses breathing machine for sleep apnea or CPAP devices. There are multiple online retailers with sleep apnea machines for sale.
Various types of sleep apnea
There are three main types of sleep apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed.
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA): Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is the most common type of breathing disorder that affects sleep pattern severely. It happens when the patient’s upper throat muscles are very relaxed and do not allow the airway to open properly while sleeping. This results in complete or sometimes partial blockage of airflow to the lungs subsequently making breathing very difficult. The air that squeezes through the blockage during this time creates loud snoring sounds.
- Central sleep apnea (CSA): Central sleep apnea (CSA) happens when the patient repeatedly stops breathing during sleep. This is because the brain fails to send proper signals to the muscles controlling breathing patterns. CSA sufferers usually struggle with many medical illnesses, like heart failure, stroke, kidney disorders etc. CSA causes fatigue, daytime sleepiness, headaches, poor memory, and anxiety.
- Mixed sleep apnea: It is generally a combination of the two types of disorders mentioned above.
What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?
Generally, people do not diagnose the sleep apnea till other people notices loud snoring sounds, irregular breathing, frequent gasping for air etc. In most cases, sleeping partners notice the symptoms and diagnose the sleep apnea. With CPAP therapy using a breathing machine for sleep apnea, the problem can be dealt with easily. Newer variants such as travel CPAP machines with humidifier are most effective for frequent travelers.
The common symptoms of sleep apnea include:
- Interruption in breathing during sleep
- Constant loud snoring, followed by periods of silence
- Excessive daytime drowsiness
- Abrupt shortness of breath
- Severe headaches & increased blood pressure
- Lesser concentration levels
- Getting up with dry mouth or a sore throat
To treat this condition effectively, it is essential to consult a good sleep disorder clinic and a doctor before starting the CPAP therapy.
Click here to find out about a Sleep apnea machine.